- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon malt (or substitute additional sugar)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly beat the egg in another medium bowl and combine with sugar, butter, and shortening, mixing well until smooth.
- Add the half & half, milk, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture while beating and mix until smooth.
- If you can, cover and chill overnight, though the batter can be used right away.